Waste Less Food In 2023: A Simple Guide
Amid a cost of living crisis and a climate crisis, the last thing we want to be doing is wasting food. Yet most of us probably throw away a lot more food than we’d care to admit. Here’s how to change your habits and waste less food in 2023.
Food Waste - What the Stats Say
Most surveys on food waste make for grim reading. The refrigeration company Liebherr commissioned a survey which revealed that UK households throw away an eye-watering £4.3 billion worth of food every year. So what else did the survey show?
- 56% of the respondents said they don’t have the information they need to help them reduce waste.
- 70% said they think it’s the job of the government and local councils to educate people about food storage and reducing waste.
The main reasons people said they throw food away are buying too much (33%) and not storing it correctly (31%).
What food do people waste most?
- Pre-packed salad,
Want to Avoid Food Waste in 2023?
Check the contents of your fridge
Is your fridge is chock full of random veg, leftover chicken, and half tubs of foods you started but didn’t finish? Get creative. First, make sure they haven't gone off, then start thinking of ways to use them.
How to Waste Fewer Vegetables
- Toss leftover veggies like onions, broccoli, and carrots with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast them. They work well as a side dish or are added to rice and pasta dishes.
- Got lots of eggs leftover? Make a delicious frittata. Just add cooked veg and some meat if you want to.
- Swapping a takeaway for a ‘fake away’ is a great move. It’s healthier too! Make fried rice with leftover rice, chopped veg, and eggs.
- Got fruit that’s seen better days? Use those overripe bananas to make smoothies.
- Wondering what to do with leftover bread that’s gone stale? Make croutons, bread crumbs, or a moreish bread and butter pudding.
Adopt Better Habits to Waste Less Food In 2023
If you want to reduce waste and save money in the new year, all it takes is a bit of effort to change your habits.
Waste Less Food - Golden rule 1
Plan your meals for the week and make a list. Be sure to check your fridge, freezer, and kitchen cupboards before you go so you don’t buy anything you don’t need to.
Waste Less Food - Golden rule 2
Pay attention to the labels on foods to make sure you store them correctly. Plan your meals around the items that you need to eat sooner.
Waste Less Food - Golden rule 3
Do some stock rotation in your fridge and cupboards. Make sure that the items that pass their use-by date first are at the front.
We hope we’ve inspired you to think about how you’ll waste less food in 2023. Now all that’s left to do is get using those leftovers in some tasty recipes! For more interesting articles on reducing waste, check out the rest of our blog.